Lindsay's PhD has focused on understanding the therapeutic mechanism of action of psychedelic compounds. Specifically, she aims to understand if the hallucinogenic properties of psychedelics are necessary to achieve therapeutic effects, or if these two phenomena are dissociable. Using primary neuronal cell culture and animal behaviour studies, Lindsay has determined that the perceptual disturbances (hallucinations) and therapeutic properties can indeed be decoupled. Together, Lindsay and her colleagues have developed and tested novel rapid-acting antidepressants that are non-hallucinogenic. These data provide an important starting point for the design of safer next-generation therapeutics for treating depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and addiction.
• Ly C, Greb AC, Cameron LP, Wong JM, Barragan EV, Wilson PC, Burbach KF, Dunlap LE, Soltanzadeh Zarandi S, Sood A, Paddy MR, Duim WC, Dennis MY, McAllister KA, Ori-McKenney KM, Gray JA, Olson DE. Psychedelics promote structural and functional neural plasticity. Cell Reports, 2018, 23, 3170-3182.
• Cameron, L. P.; Olson, D. E. "Dark Classics in Chemical Neuroscience: N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT)" ACS Chem. Neurosci. 2018, 9, 2344–2357
• Cameron, L. P.; Benson, C. J.; Dunlap, L. E.; Olson, D. E. Effects of N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) on rat behaviors relevant to anxiety and depression" ACS Chem. Neurosci. 2018, 9, 1582–1590.
• Cameron, L. P.; Benson, C. J.; DeFelice, B. C.; Fiehn, O.; Olson, D. E. "Chronic, Intermittent Microdoses of the Psychedelic N,N‐Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) Produce Positive Effects on Mood and Anxiety in Rodents." ACS Chem. Neurosci., 2019, 10, 3261−3270.
• Cameron, L. P.; Nazarian, A.; Olson, D. E. Psychedelic Microdosing: Prevalence and Subjective Effects. J. Psychoactive Drugs, 2020, ASAP
• Dunlap, L. E.; Azinfar, A.; Ly, C.; Cameron, L. P.; Viswanathan, J.; Tombari, R. J.; Myers-Turnbull, D.; Taylor, J. C.; Grodzki, A. C.; Lein, P. J.; Kokel, D.; Olson, D. E. Identification of Psychoplastogenic N,N-Dimethylaminoisotryptamine (isoDMT) Analogs Through Structure-Activity Relationship Studies. J. Med. Chem., 2020, 63, 1142–1155.
• LP Cameron, RJ Tombari, J Lu, AJ Pell, ZQ Hurley, Y Ehinger, MV Vargas, MN McCarroll, JC Taylor, D Myers-Turnbull, T Liu, B Yaghoobi, LJ Laskowski, EI Anderson, G Zhang, J Viswanathan, BM Brown, M Tjia, LE Dunlap, ZT Rabow, O Fiehn, H Wulff, JD McCorvy, PJ Lein, D Kokel, D Ron, J Peters, Y Zuo, DE Olson. (2020) A Non-Hallucinogenic Psychedelic Analog with Therapeutic Potential. Nature. Published online 9 Dec 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-020-3008-z.
• EK Unger, JP Keller, M Altermatt, R Liang, Z Yao, J Sun, A Matsui, CE Dong, DA Jaffe, S Hartanto, GO Mizuno, PM Borden, AV Shivange, S Sinning, SM Underhill, J Carlin, S Banala, LP Cameron, DE Olson, SG Amara, DT Lang, G Rudnick, JS Marvin, LD Lavis, HA Lester, VA Alvarez, AJ Fisher, JA Prescher, V Yarov-Yarovoy, V Gradinaru, LL Looger, L Tian. (2019) Directed evolution of a selective and sensitive serotonin biosensor via machine learning. Cell. https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1cFWeL7PXcM7R.
2020 Women’s Brain Health Virtual Conference Student Award
2020 Barbara Chapman Travel Award
2020 UC Davis Center for Neuroscience NeuroArt Award
2020 Young Investigator Speaker, International Society for Serotonin Research Conference
2020 Travel award for the International Society for Serotonin Research Conference
2020 Top 10 finalists for GradSlam competition (final round cancelled due to covid-19)
2019 Mistletoe Fellowship
2019 University of California, Davis Alzheimer’s Disease Conference Poster Award
2018 Learning, Memory and Plasticity Fellowship (LaMP T32)
2018 University of California, Davis Society for Neuroscience Poster Award
2018 Mid-Dissertation Research Award
2018 University of California, Davis Neurofest Poster Award